NAD Conference/ Meeting them??  

Posted by FairLady

If you guys are confused why this explanation of this blog. Please go visit this post first: Link

Hello, Yall!! I know there is a NAD Conference coming up that is meeting in New Orleans. I am almost positive lot of outsiders would be so curious about our experience through a major disaster (Hurricane Katrina) as it went down in the history book. I know most of us locals would be so exciting to welcome them to our home state. I hope it will make us feel sense of belonging to a deaf community that is struggling to find our feet to stand and build. It is a ongoing process to build up a deaf community as it was so once shattered by Hurricane Katrina/Rita.

I'm sure you visitors from NAD are really CURIOUS to see our New Orleans and our surrounding.. Oh I hope you will fit in to visit our wonderful Bourbon St.. Aquarium, and River walk etc.. You got to try to sample many of our cajun foods.. I am sure you will not miss out if you taste them.. They are heavenly!!

I know I would love to meet people that are coming to NAD Conference in New Orleans. So I'm so curious who is going to be there?? Please be willing to be my new friends?? I'm sure many of us local are anticipate to make new friends with outsiders.

I just want to let you know how things may or may affect you to be aware how to talk with us. I would really like to ask many of you to be “sensitive” to this subject as not everybody is like me. Some are very willing to share their stories and experience. Some are not, so I would like to ask many of you to respect that. At the beginning, I didn’t mind sharing my stories but as the time went on. I felt got weary of telling my stories again and again. That’s because I felt I wasn’t really am able to move on. I felt like I was stuck in the past but really I am moving on to heal from the hurricane disaster. Not everybody is like me. Just keep that in mind when you chat with us local Louisiana people. There are some questions I felt were little bit too personal and sensitive issues. Especially about money or insurance issues or if their family died and whatnot. Sometimes things are best left to be said on their own by not asking others . I want everybody to feel free to ask and answer as long they are comfortable to ask/answer.

Thanks,
Fairlady


This entry was posted on Saturday, July 5, 2008 at 9:55 AM . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

3 comments

I'd love to be there and, unfortunately I won't be there!! :(

Amy, happy? I don't use "BUT" >:^)

July 5, 2008 at 11:29 PM

What a sensitive and well-timed blog post Fair. I know your suggestions will help many who will be attending the NAD conference next week there. I wish I could go! Sadly, I can't get away from work. Take your camera and vlog away fro us so we can enjoy what you see and who you meet!

~ LaRonda

July 5, 2008 at 11:41 PM

I'm hoping to meet many but I only only one that is going is Amy Cohen. I would love to meet her. I'm not sure who else will be there.

July 6, 2008 at 2:23 AM

Post a Comment